The Otto Group is a globally active group of retailers and retail-related service providers with around 50,000 employees and sales of EUR 12.5 billion.
Through 123 major companies, it has a presence in more than 30 countries in Europe, North and South America as well as Asia. With online sales of EUR 7.0 billion, the Otto Group is one of the world's largest online retailers.
It is Germany's largest online retailer for fashion and lifestyle for consumers, offering customers 2.2 million items across 6,000 brands. More than 90 per cent of its total turnover is generated online.
Five years ago, the business was running its online operations on a complex, expensive and detrimentally slow legacy system. One that made it impossible to scale and deliver real-time service. In a bid to modernise, Otto.de focused on a cultural change within the business in-line with overhauling its technology infrastructure. The business undertook a three-step change across employees and systems:
- Understand customers and prospects better, in order to deliver relevant products in the right channel at the right time
- Become responsive as a unified business across all channels, with shop management functions that give previews for all touchpoints
- Change the goalposts – revise how the business measures KPIs for the new era of social sharing and engagement and how to be profitable from those
Engaging shopping experiences online
As a large online retailer, Otto.de is operating in a highly agile market environment. As a result, it was looking for a dynamic media partner to deliver high quality performance across its online properties. After a process of rigorous testing and evaluation, Otto.de chose to partner with Amplience, the retail engagement platform, to serve its dynamic media needs across the website.
The Amplience solution supports Otto.de's rich media delivery workflow. Assets like videos and images are delivered responsively, optimised for all online experiences. This enables the company to streamline costs and improve the quality of the online shopping experience for customers.
Key business benefits
- Fast and reliable delivery of the majority of Otto.de media assets
- Easy administration of assets and formats within the business
- Professional collaboration between Otto.de and Amplience
Jürgen Holtschmidt, Head of Technical Product Development Marketing & Integration at Otto.de, said, "Our online presence is our business. That is why we never rest on the status quo, but place our focus on the future. Our mission at Otto.de is to harness innovative technologies to provide a positive shopping experience across all our specialist shops. Amplience offered the power and capabilities we were looking for. In addition, we were impressed by the team's knowledge and expertise both before and after the migration. It's great to work with a partner that mirrors the drive and ambitions of our parent Otto Group."